Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Books should be read

[Song] of the day: Wake me up when September ends - Green Day

Like everyone else, I have my own need-to-be-read list of books I deem extremely, very good.
It sure won't be so long, and will contain teens' books, but I am a teenager. Who am I to deny mindless guilty pleasures?

1. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
'The only way to save your daughter
Is to sacrifice her sister.'
The essence of the story is written on its cover. Anna, a 13 years-old, is born for the purpose of being her sister Kate's donor. When asked to donate her kidney to Kate, however, Anna decides that she does not want to help her any longer. By hiring a lawyer, however, Anna has just made the dysfunctional family even more wrecked.  But is she really wrong in wanting to regain the right over her own body?

Why I chose this book:
 Jodi Picoult managed to capture the complex problems that even the heart cannot answer. The theme itself is brilliant, and topped with the awesome writing, believable characters and moral problems, this is a masterpiece. Instead of classifying the characters as protagonists and antagonists, this story shows the characters' stories and leave you to question even your own beliefs.

2. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
'A story of two dogs and a boy.'
Persistence, Loyalty, and Growing up, this story says. Billy wants nothing more than a pair of coonhounds. With only that in mind, he works, and two years pass and he gets them. Old Dan and Little Ann. And the real story starts. After sticking together for so long, through ups and downs, Billy must remember that life is not forever. But he can always find solace in the legend of Red Fern and angels.

 Why I chose this book:
Despite this being a popular choice for middle school reading, I find this really deep. This is the book I read on 7th grade. Of course, being a nerd I am, I read it before the teacher tells us to. And good heavens, I cried  when Old Dan and Little Ann die. And I just had to read it during Arabic class. Anyway, if you haven't read this, do it. It's so brilliantly crafted, I'm surprised I don't see translations of it.

3. Keeper by Mal Peet
El Gato is the greatest keeper of his time. During his interview, he recounts his life story, of the forests and small towns, and the ghostly mentor who taught him everything.

Why I chose this book:
I love soccer. I love ghost stories. This is a perfect combination of both. The story is not hardcore soccer where the author throws out all sort of strategy talking and whatever strange names they have in the game. It's about hard work, forest, and the Keeper. It is easy to read, and yet you cannot put it down. You don't like sports? Read it anyway.

4. After Dark by Haruki Murakami
So much happens in one night. Mari is running away for the night, and Eri is still sleeping.

Why I chose this book:
It's obvious: the author is proclaimed a genius with his craft. This is not a thrilling fiction book, and I never expected I'd like this, but Murakami is too good. And the point of view is a really nice touch. Consider this one of the books to be read when you're waiting in a café.

5. Heroes of Olympus: The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan
Percy Jackson disappeared. Enter Jason, Piper and Leo, our three out of seven heroes. Jason, son of Jupiter, Piper, daughter of Aphrodite, Leo, son of Hephaestus. Whatever gamble Hera is playing, it sure doesn't seem like a good one. But at least it does make a good adventure.

Why I chose this book:
Some people might like the original series better. Don't get me wrong, I totally love the Percy Jackson series, but I'm totally loving the characters in this. They're quirky and lively. Yeah, the whole stolen memories thing is sort of sucked for some time, but we all can glare at Hera. I love how Jason is like, 'Why in the world am I here?' and Piper and Leo are so awesome. I totally read the book over 5 times. The downside, it's not exactly that portable. It's 567 pages.

I'm quickly losing my concentration. To my defence, I've been writing this for at least 2 hours. I'd like to mention these books, though.
1. Firestar's Quest
2. Artemis Fowl: The series
3. His Dark Materials

No comments:

Post a Comment