Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A thing about Hetalia

WARNING: This is just strange train of thought. I have my point of view, you have yours. I respect yours.
Hetalia helped me study History better due to my growing attachment toward certain countries. But I have one problem with it:
The characters are supposed to personify countries, and yet it shows signs of them being territories instead.
Before you say something along the lines of, 'WTF,' let me clarify:
Let's use Canada as an example. Canada was part of New France, which doesn't even cover 1/3 of the Canada we know today. Canada, New France then becomes Province of Quebec.
...
Everything then gets messed up.
As a country, Hetalia!Canada shouldn't have existed until 1867. Please note that I'm not very knowledgeable about when a country is recognised an independent country. Heck, I don't even know the first country to exist. The meaning blurs together, and if I follow my teacher's definition, the first one would date waaay back.
Back to Canada,
One might say it represented New France, but if we go by Two Italies logic (which in the series Italy got divided because of Habsburgs control) then there should be Canada, Acadia, Louisiana, etc. However, one might also say that the Two Italies defies the series's logic, and that there should be only one personification, then Canada/New France shouldn't have a personification. It's part of France, and France should personify it. It's a bit like Hawaii, if you want. We don't have a personification of Hawaii out there!

The one flaw of the show is that the basic foundation of what the characters are is shaky. One part says they're countries, and yet some other part says some might be territories. Southern Italy, Northern Italy, are they not parts of a country? Prussia is said to now personify East Germany. Isn't that territory? New France, America, blah blah blah. They're territories. Conquered territories. And the show showed ChibiCanada/ChibiAmerica running around France/England. And now I'm very confused.

Let me tell you about what I think is different between personifications of territories and countries.
Territories are parts of a country. Colonies fall under this category. Also, might work if we say that most characters personify several territories that makes up a country. Blarogrjkaer I don't know.
Countries are well, countries. Has a government, area/territory, people, and recognised by other countries as a country.

So choose, creator, countries or territories? D<
Gimme a clear answer. My head hurts now.
Y'know what? Just say they're territories. It's like saying they're amino acids instead of Protein, which is the complex version of the acids and consists of more than one amino acid.

Okay, I'll expand this when my mother's not telling me to sleep. Also, hopefully with clearer language. I'm writing this in a hurry and trying to get all the facts and years and such.
Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment